British politician Jeremy Corbyn is the current leader of the Labour Party and also lead opposition in the House of Commons or British Parliament. He was born on 26th May 1949 in Chippenham in the Wiltshire County and raised in Kington St. Micheal. His mother, Naomi Josling, was a scientist, later a professor of mathematics, and his father, David Benjamin Corbyn, was an electrical engineer. His parents were peace activists, having met for the first time at an event in support of Spanish Republicans fighting Franco’s fascism.
Jeremy Corbyn Early Life
When Corbyn was seven, the family moved to Pave Lane in Shropshire, where his father bought Yew Tree Manor, a former guesthouse, and made it the family home. Corbyn studied at Castle House Preparatory School near Newport, Shropshire and later attended Adams’ Grammar School. Corbyn worked as a reporter for a short time for a local newspaper, the Newport and Market Drayton Advertiser. He was a student at the University of North London, but left after a year.
At around the age of 18, Corbyn spent two years as a volunteer worker in Jamaica, where he taught geography and even worked as a union leader for the National Union of Tailoring and Clothing Workers. He was a member of a District Health Authority in the early 1970s. In 1974, he was elected to the Haringey Council, representing Haringey as a counselor until 1983. He was chosen as a candidate for the Labor Party in Islington North in 1982.
By this time, he became involved in the London Labor Briefing, a political magazine linked to the Labor Party, where he was a collaborator and member of the editorial board during the 1980s. Taking the left wing of the party opposing the New Labor of Tony Blair and his centrist doctrine, he won the election in 2015 to the Labor leadership and thus becomes leader of the official opposition. He has been MP from Islington North since 1983.
Following the referendum on the UK’s stay in the European Union in 2016, Labor MPs passed a vote of no confidence against Corbyn by 172 votes to 40 after the two-thirds resignation of his Shadow Cabinet. In September 2016, however, Jeremy again won an election among party members, with 61.8% of the vote. In the 2017 general elections, the Labor Party under his command, surprised at the polls and won 40% of the vote and took 32 new seats in the UK House of Commons.
Jeremy Corbyn Biography
|Real Name||Jeremy Bernard Corbyn|
|Birth Date||26 May 1949|
|Age||71 Years (as of 2020)|
|Birth Place||Chippenham, United Kingdom|
Jeremy Corbyn Height, Weight and Body Measurement
|Height||in feet inches – 5’ 10” – in centimeters – 178 cm Approx|
|Weight||in Kilograms – 75 kg – in Pounds – 165 lbs Approx|
|Chest Size||40 Inches|
|Waist Size||36 Inches|
|Biceps Size||16 Inches|
|Shoe Size||9 (US)|
|Eye Color||Moss Green|
|School||Castle House School, Haberdashers’ Adams’ Grammar School|
|College||London Metropolitan University, University of North London|
|Brother||Piers Corbyn, Andrew Corbyn|
Jeremy Corbyn Affairs (Relationship Status)
|What is Jeremy Corbyn marital status? (single, engaged, married, in relation or divorce)||Married|
|How many children does Jeremy Corbyn have?||Three (Seb Corbyn, Benjamin Corbyn, Thomas Corbyn)|
|Is Jeremy Corbyn having any relationship affair?||No|
|Is Jeremy Corbyn Gay?||No|
|Who is Jeremy Corbyn wife?||Laura Alvarez (m. 2013), Claudia Bracchitta (m. 1987–1999), Jane Chapman (m. 1974–1979)|
|Favorite Politician||Tony Benn|
|Favorite Music||John Lennon|
|Favorite Song||Imagine by John Lennon|
Jeremy Corbyn Net Worth:
A self-proclaimed democratic socialist, he earns about £79,468 as salary for MP whereas receives about £64,237 salary for his post as leader of opposition. This sums up that, Jeremy is making £143,000 from his salary. He has been in politics since late 1980s and his net worth is estimated around £3 million, according to various sources.
Trivia: Important Facts about Jeremy Corbyn
- He was born in Chippenham and grew up in Kingston St. Micheal.
- Currently he resides in London his third wife Laura Alvarez.
- While studying at school, he wasn’t that bright student and received bad grades. Even a teacher told him that he would never do anything about himself.
- He stood out in the anti-war, anti-nuclear movements and in the defense of human rights.
- Contested by the centrist cadres of his party to the point of having to put his mandate back into play a year after his election.
- Corbyn is a member of Amnesty International, the Movement for Nuclear Disarmament and the Solidarity with Palestine Movement.
- Jeremy was also president of the Stop the War Coalition, campaigning against the Iraq War and the Afghan War, from 2011 to 2015.
- Despite condemning antisemitism and suspending Labor Party MPs for having views considered antisemitic, he has been accused of having anti-Israel or antisemitic views.
- Following the referendum on the UK’s stay in the European Union in 2016, Labor MPs passed a vote of no confidence against Corbyn by 172 votes to 40 after the two-thirds resignation of his Shadow Cabinet.
- He lives normal life and doesn’t spend much money, ride a bicycle and doesn’t have a car as well.